Tuesday 29 March 2011

All good things...the end of The Bluetones

I mocked the reaction of those teenage (mainly) girls (mainly) when Take That split up (the first time), seemed silly to me that anyone could get that emotional about a 'pop group'. And yet, just over a week ago when I heard that the Autumn tour by The Bluetones would be the last, I cried, and this is why.


Once upon a time... I saw a group on Top of the Pops performing 'Cut Some Rug'. I recognised them as the group that had also produced the gem that is 'Slight Return' and so with two songs I liked, I bought 'Expecting to Fly'. I didn't even had a CD player to play it on at the time!

'Expecting to Fly' has not lost any impact on me over the years. It is my favourite album, not just by The Bluetones, by anyone and I can't ever see a time when it will be anything but the best thing in my CD rack.


A couple of years later I saw them live at Shepherd's Bush, where I shall return in September to see them for the very last time (as well as a few other gigs on the farewell tour). But in between there have been many memorable gigs and new tunes which have brought with them an increasing depth to my love of The Bluetones.

It would be a bit boring of me to mention all the songs I like but some deserve a special mention...just because. I like to think of it as the set list to be played in September;

Talking to Clarry
Never Going Nowhere
The day that never was
Bluetonic
Surrendered
After Hours
Carry me Home
Slight Return
Sleazy bed track (might have a little cry)
A Parting Gesture (more tissues please)

Which brings me towards the end of the story, but not without a note on my more recent encounters with some of Mark's solo gigs. I guess I didn't really know what was in store the first time but suffice to say it exceeded all expectations. Mark, his guitar and a usually some amusing banter with the crowd...I would recommend to anyone.

And so it only leaves me to say A MASSIVE 'thankyou' to The Bluetones for all they have created and produced which has had more than a little impact on me...and will continue to do so.

1 comment: