Thursday 22 September 2011

Oxford gig...the end of the bluetones part 3

The penultimate bluetones gig for me....


I think I am correct in saying this gig was a sell out (or as good as), it was certainly packed and very hot. There's a 'smokiness' about the venue which makes for a good gig atmosphere (but crap for taking decent photos).




By this point I know what is coming as far as the set list is concerned but as with all gigs there are some unique and memorable moments to share.


Following the first couple of songs Mark whips off his jacket and then begins some amusing banter which went something like this;

Mark 'Is this a sell out then? I hope so, it's the only reason we're doing this (a final tour). So if it's not, then there's no point'


Man in audience shouts out 'So why are you doing it then?'


Mark 'Cos we're sick of being shouted out!'









More brilliant music follows. By the time we get to the 'last' song sweat is dripping down my back and I need a towel for my face.


In the first encore Mark dedicates 'Vostok of Love' to a lady at the front (also called Jo) who has racked up 100 Bluetones gigs.....lucky lady.


When Vostok finishes Mark says 'When your kids find your tour T-shirt in a drawer and ask 'who are The Bluetones? play them that (referring to Vostok).... and say 'and THAT was a B side!.....and they'll say 'What's a B side?!!'






In the second encore we get (as you know) 'Baby give it up' (Mark introduces it as the song of the tour) which is growing on me by now, and they do it brilliantly. (But I'd still rather have another of their own songs)

As we reach the end and another step closer to THE END Mark is still being light hearted about it all....'It's obviously horrifically sad' ...then laughing (I want to shout IT'S NOT FUNNY but then I'd be one of those people who shout at the band during a gig.....) and then, 'A parting gesture'. I have that trembly chin thing going on during this song but no flood of tears.






At the end... 'Thankyou very much. We were The Bluetones'.

No comments:

Post a Comment