Saturday 17 September 2011

Shepherd's Bush gig 1...the end of the bluetones part 2

And so I returned to the venue where I first saw The Bluetones what seems like a lifetime ago. It's a great venue and the quality of the sound is far superior to that of the Reading gig. 

The place was packed and standing at the front, looking back at the rest of the audience, it's a wonderful sight. Especially during 'Slight Return' and 'If'. I hope the band felt the same and we did them proud.

I was behind the folks leaning on the front barrier so the view couldn't have been any better (no tall people on the front row...now there's a first) and the atmosphere was different to that of the previous gig (lots of factors in play there...venue, number of people, Friday night...). It felt like we were all there together, if that makes sense? The downside of being so near the front, and I may be showing my age here, is that there is the constant distraction of being pushed around as always happens, particularly during 'Bluetonic'! That said, I have never been 'upstairs where there are seats' at a gig and don't plan to start anytime soon!

The set list was the same as Reading, with one notable exception; during the first encore, we got an additional track...Vostok of Love...for the 'anorak fans', as Mark put it. I am happy to be considered an 'anoark fan' if it means hearing at least one 'less well known' track. 
Two gigs left for me....Colorado Beetle please....?

In some ways, it would be true to say I enjoyed last night's gig more than the previous one but what I didn't get last night (and I did at Reading) was to feel the reality of what's coming. And I need to. I don't want it to hit me AFTER the end, when it's too late. I want to feel it while I am there, with the band in front of me, so I can soak up what's left.

So next week, Oxford (where I will remember to take the camera!)


Then the final gig at Shepherd's Bush where I will hang back away from the madness at the front. I will watch, listen, savour the moment and allow it all to sink in. After all, it has to last me a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment