Wednesday 28 September 2011

Shepherd's Bush gig 2 ...THE END of the bluetones.

This was it. The last time I would ever get to see my favourite band.






I have seen them many times over the years and I can honestly say that these last four times have been the best. Knowing that this would be the last tour has meant some sad moments (more on that later) but it also meant that I would not be taking the gigs for granted and set out to appreciate them to the full.









I broke with tradition and stood 'Devlin' side, about 3 rows back. The view I had was good but after the first few songs it was apparent that the people around me weren't quite as 'into it' as me so I wandered back a bit just to see the whole thing from a distance. I lasted a couple of songs before the desire to punch some of those talking got too much so I headed towards the front again, this time pretty much in front of Mark. The people around me were 'proper' tones fans and I felt at home.



There wasn't as much of Mark's banter during the gig but following 'Slack Jaw' he did amuse the crowd thus;
'The mandolin, a very difficult instrument to play and look sexy at the same time. But as you saw, ladies and gentlemen, not impossible'

It was brilliant to hear some variety in the set list; 'I was a teenage Jesus', 'One Speed Gearbox' and 'Emily's Pine'.

Whilst I knew at some point I would probably shed a tear, it surprised me that the point at which it hit me was in the NA's of 'If'. I suddenly realised I would never be standing in the middle of a crowd of fans singing Na Na Na Na Na....at the band, ever again.

Emily's Pine was somewhat lost on me as I was crying pretty much the whole way through and it was during this song that a friendly faced chap appeared by my side and said 'They'll be back'. He put his arm round me and asked if I was alright. I nodded through the tears and he returned to his mates. Thank you, whoever you were.


And so came the last song, 'A Parting Gesture'. But it was these parting words from Mark which whenever I read them again will bring a tear to my eye;


'There's really nothing left to say. You take care of yourselves because we're not going to be able to anymore. Thank you very much, we were The Bluetones'.


2 comments:

  1. We gave them a send-off, didn't we?! I've loved reading everyone's thoughts throughout the tour, and you're right, it's made us appreciate it that little bit more.
    Bye bye Bluetones x

    ps I love how "Devlin-side" and "Scott-side" are becoming the new stage-left and stage-right ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I just relived the whole night there.I may try and get my thoughts together about the whole night too, but it's going to be hard. We must've been quite close to each other. I was about three rows from the back, started in the middle but ended up Devlin side after Bluetonic :)

    ReplyDelete